Tuesday, 26 May 2009

New spinning skills...

I've been doing a lot of spinning lately and there are two yarns that I'm really excited about!

The first one is called Sea Song...
Sea Song yarn collage

Its spun from a gorgeous hand dyed Merino-Tencel fibre blend that I bought from Fyberspates at Wonderwool Wales 2009. This is the first time I've added locks (the curly bits) to a yarn and it seemed to work really well! These locks are lovely turquoise Wensleydale ones (from the Wonderwool stash again).

My second 'yarn to get excited about' is called Late to the Party...
Late to the Party yarn collage

This yarn is my first successful attempt at corespinning (spinning around a core thread or thin yarn). It's taken me several previous attempts before finally 'clicking' with this yarn. I think it's all down to finding a way to hold and tension the core during spinning so that it's still possible to draft the fibre easily.

It probably helped that I had such wonderful batts to spin with. I bought them from FeltstudioUK on Etsy and was saving them for something special. They contain a mixture of Cashmere, silk, baby Camel, baby Alpaca (from a rescue farm) and superfine Merino wool.

I called this yarn 'Late to the Party' because that's how I feel about corespinning! The communities of creative spinners on Craftster and Ravelry seemed to crack corespinning months ago and were turning out huge amounts of gorgeous corespun yarn. I suppose I'm better late than never :)

I've been feeling very excited about having some new spinning skills! I think I'm going to be on a corespinning and locks kick for a while now!

1 comment:

  1. Wow wow wow! Gorgeous yarns. I love the colours in the first one and the locks are a fantastic addition.

    Late to the Party looks incredible too. Mmmm camel, silk, alpaca and cashmere - I bet it's sooo squidgy and soft! Yarn to curl up with! I've not tried corespinning but would like to try one day - it does seem incredibly popular at the moment - I think a "corespinning and locks kick" is a good thing to be on!
    x

    ReplyDelete