Monday, 1 June 2009

When the Welsh sunshine gets too much...

Its time to update the blog! We're on holiday in west Wales and it's been proper 'scorchio' every day since we arrived on Friday. Ade was starting to wilt in the heat so he's having a kip while I try and remember what we've been up to so far...

There have been barbequeues...
Ade with first ever BBQ

We bought a 'travel' BBQ before we came away (our first ever BBQ!) and it's had two outings so far. The first time Ade did a fantastic mackerel from the fishmongers in St Davids (it all happened too fast to get a photo) and I made some veggie kebabs. The next night I rustled up a favourite BBQ standby...

Halloumi and mushroom kebabs marinaded in lemon, garlic and rosemary!
Halloumi kebabs and asparagus 2

With some cheeky asparagus on the side. Mmm... why has it taken us so long to get into doing BBQs?

We're a very short walk from two gorgeous beaches. We checked out Whitesands yesterday and I had a paddle in the sea like a proper British holidaymaker...
Kate in the sea 1

I fished about in the sea for some bits of seaweed and must have washed all the sunblock off my arm so I've got an attractive shiny red right forearm now :)

The reflections in Ade's sunglasses made for a good photo...
Whitesands reflected 2
You can even see the reflection of me peering unattractively as I try to take the picture! Small things... :)

We went through to Lower Fishguard harbour at some point. Here's a herring sculpture that caught my eye...
Fishguard Herrings 3

We sat by the harbour...
Us at Fishguard harbour 2
and wished that we had a little boat like the ones reflected in Ade's sunglasses.

Although it seems rude to be indoors when it's so sunny, I couldn't miss the chance to visit the Melin Tregwynt weaving mill and shop.

They only weave during the week but I still went and had a nosey at the looms...
Loom at Melin Tregwynt

It all got a bit much when we went into the shop and saw this...
Melin Tregwynt shop

I wanted one of everything! This was just a small corner of the shop. There were all sorts of exciting woven goodies and all the colours and patterns are gorgeous.

I managed to just about control myself but I might have come away with a bag...
New bag!

No, I did definitely come away with a bag and then I made it pose for a photo in the hallway of where we're staying (I am a bit sad, but it's a lovely bag!).

We might also have bought a blanket (no photos as I was feeling a bit guilty for the spending spree!) but I did manage to avoid being tempted by two antique Welsh blankets today so I don't feel quite so bad. I get the feeling that I might eventually end up with a collection of Welsh blankets though because there are some lovely ones out there and there's only so much willpower I can muster. Bah! :)

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, barbecues. We had our first one this year on the weekend and it was all rather yummy. You picked a great time to go on your hols - the weather has been wonderful and West Wales is such a beautiful part of the world. The Mill sounds fab - would love to visit there one day - not surprised you gave in to temptation - the bag is gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pics, glad you're having a good time. Did you enjoy the mackerel? Fish don't have feelings! Neither do chickens incidentally...

    ReplyDelete