Wednesday, 22 July 2009

Flapjack recipe and changes afoot...

I made a batch of date and molasses flapjack last night and thought I'd share my recipe. I know flapjack isn't one of the most complicated things to make but it took me a long time to get a result that wasn't rock hard or completely crumbly! The combination of Mum's recipe, good tins (Mermaid ones in our case, expensive but brilliant and made to last forever) and non-stick baking paper means great flapjack every time!

This is the flapjack (or 'flappy' as its known in our house) fresh out of the oven...
Date and molasses flapjack

Date and molasses flapjack recipe

Ingredients:
- 4oz butter
- 3oz muscovado sugar
- 1oz chopped dates
- 1 tsp molasses
- 1 large tsp golden syrup
- 8.5oz porridge oats

I tend to use organic ingredients, except for the golden syrup as I can't find an organic one that's as nice as Tate & Lyle!

Directions:
Melt the butter, sugar, molasses and golden syrup in a pan over a medium heat. Chop up the dates into the mixture. Scissors is the easiest way to do it, chop them as fine or as chunky as you like.

Once the mixture has melted, turn off the heat, chuck in the oats and carefully stir them in. It'll look like too many oats but keep going and make sure the melted mixture is completely mixed in.

Line a baking tin with greaseproof/non-stick baking paper (or use that special reusable stuff if you've got it, I keep meaning to buy some!). My tin is about 6" x 10" and 1" deep but anything vaguely that size should work.

Tip the mixture into the lined tin and smooth it flat with the back of a metal spoon or something. Then put it in a medium oven for about 15-20mins. I put my electric fan-assisted oven to around 160 degrees C. Once you can smell the flapjack and see the surface bubbling slightly it's usually done.

Take it out of the oven and mark out the slices on the surface of the flapjack (I usually divide it into 10). Let it cool in the tin and then remove it and cut it up properly once it's gone a bit more solid. When it's totally cool, put it in an airtight container and it's usually good for a week but tends to be eaten before then!

Mmm... lovely date-y bits!
Close up date and molasses flapjack

If you don't like the idea of date and molasses, leave them out, but put in an extra half oz of sugar and a bit of extra golden syrup instead of the molasses for a plain flapjack.

Other winning flappy combos... cherry and coconut, dried apricot and almond, chocolate pieces with chopped brazil or hazelnuts, three seed (pumpkin, sunflower and sesame), dried apple and cinnamon.

In non-flapjack news, I'm making progress with getting my head around the idea of selling some fibre-related things on Etsy (and maybe other places). I'm thinking batts, yarn, handmade buttons (more news on that once I get some photos!), finished knitted/woven/felted objects etc etc.

I've started to realise that 'skeffto' might not be the best name for a crafty venture. Although it means something to me and a few people who know me, the rest of the world seems to struggle with it. People always look a bit blank when I tell them it and often can't get the hang of spelling it (skefto? skeffko?)!

It doesn't seem like a good plan to have a business name that people can't get their head around! I've decided that I should have the same name for as many things as possible (blog, Etsy, Ravelry, email, Twitter, Craftster etc) so that people can find me easily. This means a bit of work to change my name and a move of blog so I need to get it right!

I've been thinking of 'skeffto' alternatives and have come up with 'flyhoof' and 'giddyhorse', which both relate to the logo that I'm thinking of using - a flying stickhorse. I know, that sounds weird but it doesn't look so bad, honest! I like the idea of flyhoof but don't feel as attached to it as I do giddyhorse. But then giddyhorse sounds a bit 'cute' and childlike to me, which is maybe not so good?

Any input on this would be much appreciated! :)

6 comments:

  1. Mmm, they look yummy! I wonder if courgette would be an er... interesting addition - I'm getting desperate! I have Courgette Cake planned for the weekend - that's to follow our starter of courgette soup served with courgette bread and the main of courgette fritters served with, oh...i dunno courgettes.... Anyhow, I digress....

    The hardest bit of starting a venture is finding a name for it! I've already been through a couple of incarnations and have gone off my current business name now too - but once you start to build up feedback etc, it's hard to change it. I really like 'flyhoof' - it's my favourite of the two - and I love the sound of the logo! Good luck with getting everything sorted and make sure you let me know if you do move your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Sounds like you're starting to suffer from the courgette glut! Is there anyone you could do a trade with? A local cafe or restaurant who might swap a box of courgettes for a free meal or two? Or a veg box scheme to trade courgettes for other veg? A local greengrocers who might be interested? Our local greengrocers always seems to have a box or two of something very local and seasonal that looks as though it's come from an allotment. It certainly sounds like you've exhausted all the ways of cooking courgettes!

    Thanks for commenting on the name change. I think I'm leaning towards flyhoof too. Hopefully the change will be worth the upheaval! Is your current business name 'little slice of life'? I like that! It can relate to a lot of different things too. It reminds me of cake in a roundabout way and that's a good thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been giving quite a few away to friends and neighbours and have a shelf full of chutney to give as christmas gifts etc. Not sure I have quite enough to offer to the grocers but if the situation escalates I'll certainly bear it in mind! :)

    Nope, little slice of life is just the blog name - it wasn't really intended as a craft blog it just seems to be heading that way these days - although I guess that's an accurate representation of a slice of my life! My business name is feathertree - it used to be a cardmaking and wedding stationery business and I'm not sure if I like it all that much... still, as I've built up a little bit of feedback on etsy and don't have anything better in mind, I guess it's here to stay... at least for a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, it's me! Just trying to blog and not sure how to get further than editing the header... oh well, will keep at it.
    It was lovely to see you the other day and your yarns are truly beautiful. Have you perfected the crochet and braiding yet? x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I agree about the flapjack - mine was yummy! It was great to see you at the weekend, and especially to meet all those lovely yarns... will definitely have some.
    Have attempted a blog but struggling a bit. I'll keep trying! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! It was lovely to see you at the weekend too and thanks for teaching me some new skills! I've been doing some more braiding and have two crochet bowls on the go! I'll put some pics up once they're done. Keep going with your blog, it does seem like a pain at first but when you get going it's not so hard. Its looking good so far! :) x

    ReplyDelete