Tuesday, 7 July 2009

New yarnz and some batt action...

I've been spinning up my Solstice and Dirty Pretty Thing batts, with quite exciting results!

Solstice - Merino, silk and angelina sparkle. 120g and 110m long
Solstice yarn collage

Solstice is corespun and I worked across the batt from one side to the other, meaning that it starts out with lots of orange and gradually goes to purple. I like it! I'm pleased to get 110m from one batt too.

Dirty Pretty Thing - organic Wensleydale, hand dyed mystery wool and Merino. 174g and 39 metres in total
Dirty Pretty Thing yarn collage

This yarn is also corespun and I added in some extra locks and curls, which I left sticking out all over the yarn. Its really chunky and full of texture. I left it hanging on a door in the house for ages to admire it :)

I've also been carding batts...

Neptune Grass - dyed merino wool in greeny turquoises and greys, hand dyed grey merino, black diamond (carbonized bamboo fibre), dyed silk and angelina sparkle. 134g in total
Neptune Grass batt collage

Modern Guilt - hand dyed merino wool, cashmere and silk blend called 'turquoise boy' from Limegreenjelly at Etsy, dyed merino in grey, two shades of turquoise and hot pink, mystery grey wool, carbonised bamboo fibre (Black Diamond) and angelina sparkle. 158g in total
Modern Guilt batt collage

I've already spun Modern Guilt (still got to set the twist) and I've got some new ideas for things to make with my handspun... pictures to follow (if it works!).

In other fibre-related news, I randomly met a man with some sheep whilst watching the Ulverston carnival outside my Mum's house at the weekend. Mum suddenly said 'there's some sheep coming up the road!' and sure enough, there was a man with a lovely Wensleydale ewe and a North Ronaldsay ram on leads. I intercepted him and had a chat about spinning. He's got a garage full of freshly shorn fleeces from his collection of sheep, including Shetlands and various other breeds! I gave him my number and hopefully he's going to get in touch so I can have a rummage in his garage! Whoo! :)

5 comments:

  1. Lovely spinning - solstice is breathtaking! Beautiful batts too - do you mind me asking, which drum carder you have? As you know, I'm thinking of getting one - although I'm going to try processing my first fleece using my hand carders and see how it goes - something I might regret! I've often said I need more practice with the carding - well, I'm certainly going to get it now!
    Hope the man digs out a fleece for you - it's amazing what you can get by just asking! I think for a lot of breeders fleeces aren't terribly valuable but to us spinners they're pure gold!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the lovely comments! I've got a Louet drumcarder, the full sized fine carding cloth one. It's great and I'd recommend it. I've had it a couple of years and Louet seem to have upgraded it with a new model, which I think has interchangeable drums and a slightly different intake drum that doesn't hang onto as much fibre as the one I've got (I end up with a mini-batt from the front drum!).

    You'll definitely get the urge to buy a drumcarder once you start hand carding all your new fleeces! If you get the chance to buy one of the newer Louet models, I'm sure it'd be even better than the one I've got but if you get the chance for an older model at a good price I'm sure you'd still be impressed by it!

    I did manage to get some fleeces, far more than I intended to! I've also been given some other fibre of a very dubious nature that I'll be blogging about soon... :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm intrigued!

    Thanks for the advice - I'm hoping I'll be able to look at a couple of models at Fibrefest but I don't recall seeing many at Wonderwool so perhaps not... I'm a bit shocked at how expensive drum carders generally are - you can get cheaper wheels! But I guess it's an investment and they should last a long time. I'm only grumping because I hoped my next big purchase would be a loom - even though I have absolutely no time to learn yet another craft - so a drum carder would be a far more practical purchase......

    Looking forward to hearing more about this dodgy fibre! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is scary how much drumcarders cost! Mine was a very generous joint birthday and Christmas present from my family (yay for a birthday the day after Boxing Day!).

    It'll be good if you get the chance to inspect a few different ones at Fibrefest. There were plenty about at Woolfest so you might be in luck. There are tons of threads on the pros and cons of various carders on Ravelry that might be helpful too.

    If you're keen to have a go at weaving without spending lots on a loom, you might like starting out with a peg loom. You get a much chunkier result than with a 'proper' loom but that's good for rugs and a variety of other things. You can pick them up fairly cheaply or else rustle one up yourself (or bribe someone who likes sawing wood to do it!). You get lovely results weaving with bits of uncarded fleece on a pegloom too... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks - I actually own a peg loom but it hasn't come out of it's box since I was given it nearly two years ago! I'm thinking it would be a good way to use up some of the coarser fleece I have though.... so hopefully it'll see the light of day very soon!

    ReplyDelete