Monday, 3 August 2009

Ceramic buttons!

Two blog posts in one day?! I've been a very lazy blogger recently and although lots of things have been going on, I haven't got round to updating. Aim for August: more blogging! :)

I was very excited to finally get my hands on the ceramic buttons I made at a class a few weeks ago. I went to pick them up from the Brewery Arts Centre where the class was held and then they distracted me all the way home in the car! It was probably quite dangerous but I did manage to get back in one piece (me and the buttons!).

My favourites are the ones with a fibre-related theme (no surprises there!). I knitted some little pieces of fabric and also used some locks of fleece to create textures on the buttons. The full set of my button photos is on Flickr.

Here's a selection of the paler buttons...
handmade ceramic buttonsThese dark teal coloured buttons are the result of a happy oxide-related accident (I didn't really know what I was doing!)...
handmade ceramic buttonsI'm not sure if I'd ever be able to re-create the dark teal buttons if I tried, which is a shame because they're my favourites. I'll be able to give it a go though because the course tutor (James Hake, who makes fantastic ceramic art) let me have the leftover porcelain after the class! I must get it out and have a play :)

3 comments:

  1. gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! I always seem to spend so long hunting for the perfect button *sigh* - if ever you go into the button business you must let me know! I love how you used locks and knitting to give the buttons their beautiful texture. Have you got anything planned for them? They'd set off a big chunky handspun, handknitted cardi wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :) I'd love to go into the button business, they're really satisfying to make! Once I get that Etsy shop up and running, I'll definitely try selling some buttons. If I get it down to a fine art I might be able to do button commissions for when you know just what you want but can't find it anywhere! I haven't got anything particular planned for these ones so if you've got a handspun, handknitted cardi that would suit them, let me know! Mmm... a handspun handknitted cardi sounds wonderful (and far beyond my knitting capabilities!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fimo is great for button-making as long as you don't expect them to live forever! I do love your natural-looking buttons though. xxx

    ReplyDelete