Thursday, 10 September 2009

Sunshine at the Westmorland Show...

It was amazingly sunny for the Westmorland County Show today! There is always a huge amount to see and do at this show. I had a good wander around with my camera and saw all kinds of weird and wonderful things.

This cow scrubbing machine looked fun (for cows anyway, maybe too bristly for me!)
Cow scrubber 2

I had a good old grope of the fleeces in the fleece show...
Fleece show 2

Owen Jones, a swill basket maker who lives just a couple of miles up the road from me, was plying his trade over by the Traditional Crafts tent (his lovely woven rush hat was attracting admiring comments from everyone!)...
Owen making a swill basket

This amazing wallhanging was inside the Traditional Crafts tent...
Lunesdale rugmakers rug

Its a kind of free-form hooky-proddy/proggy rag-rug style hanging made by the Lunesdale Rugmakers and the details in it were stunning. Sparkly silver fabric in the wording at the top, dangly bits in the river at the bottom and stuffed tights as cobbles! It was about 6ft long and must have taken ages to make.

Over in the WI tent I encountered some knitted creatures (sheep, camel and dragon!)...
Knitted creatures in the WI tent

The vintage tractors were sparkling in the sun...
Blue tractor

Of course there were plenty of animals, hundreds of them! There were lots of lovely sheep...
Curly coated sheep

Some handsome heavy horses...
Shire on show

And some gorgeous goats...
Saanen goat

All hoping to go home with one of these...
Blue rosette

I'm looking forward to next year's show already! :)

5 comments:

  1. Unfortunately away with my class at Hawse End when the show was on. We usually take a group to have a look around and have a display in the schools' tent. Looks like a good show from these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a look round the schools tent but didn't get to take any pictures because it was too packed with people! Lots of interesting displays in there, it must be great fun taking a school group to the show :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fab show. I particularly like the rag rug - would love to give that a try one day (along with the hundred or so other crafts I'd like to learn!) The shows have finished for the year round our way but I'm already looking forward to next year. I hope to start exhibiting next year so it'll be interesting to see them from the other side....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to have a go at rag rugs too! So many crafts, so little time... :)

    I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes when you're on 'the other side'! Hopefully I'll be over there sometime too! :D

    ReplyDelete