Sunday, 21 March 2010

Coastal Birthday weekend...

It's Ade's Birthday today and we've just got back from a long weekend away in Dumfries and Galloway. We didn't do too much, just had a relaxing few days by the sea.

We wandered around the rocky shoreline and sat on the beach...
Bum on a rock
Collected shells and admired the seaweed, especially this lovely red variety...
Red seaweed 2
There is so much fantastic seaweed on this coast, with a wide range of colours and textures. I started cooking up plans to spin a seaweed yarn but it could be a bit slippery and smelly... :)

I did spin some regular yarn while I was there though. How's about this for a spinning venue?!
Getting ready to spin
Spinning by the sea! The weather was so nice that I was able to take my wheel out on the deck for the ultimate spinning view...
Spinning!
And I had a beautiful bag of Hobbledehoy's Frosty Plum batts to spin. Perfect!

We had to head home today but since it's Ade's Birthday, we took a detour to check out a stone circle near Dumfries...
Ade and the sign
And a rare bird at Caerlaverock WWT nature reserve. I didn't get any pictures of the American Wigeon we went to see but there were plenty of Whooper Swans to photograph...
Whoopers at Caerlaverock
We had a great time. I think Ade likes the present I got him... I was certainly excited by it! I think it deserves its own blog post so once I get some photos of it, I'll show it off to everyone! :)

2 comments:

  1. Seaside spinning..... now that's something I must try! I love the red seaweed - wouldn't mind some yarn in that colour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely recommend seaside spinning! And I'll let you know if I manage to spin some non-smelly seaweed, I'd love to have a go at it! :)

    ReplyDelete