Friday, 30 July 2010

Stash from Woolfest 2010!

It's been a while since Woolfest but I've finally got round to photographing some of the stash I bought home from the show this year. It was mainly fleece-related (four of them!) but I did get some other bits and pieces too...

I can never walk past the Oliver Twist stand without their amazing dyed silk calling to me, so I came home with three lovely colour-ways...
Oliver Twist silk bricks

I couldn't resist adding to my stash of gorgeously soft Angora bunny fibre and picked up three bags of fluff from their stand...
Three bags of Angora bunny fibre

Ade spotted a feltmaking book on one stall and I was so amazed by the pictures that I didn't realise it was entirely written in German until I got home!
German felt book

Never mind though, the pictures inside are so good that you can tell how things are being done even without understanding the text. I always wondered how those concertina felted pieces are made...
Inside the German felt book

There was a lovely little stall selling vintage wool and textile-related things (can't remember the name unfortunately) and despite my best efforts to resist, I bought several bags of lovely beads.

Some wooden ones (the brown ones look like seed pods of some kind)...
Three dishes of beads

And some beautiful glass ones...
Dish of glass beads

I also picked up a calendar for next year from the Shetland Sheep Society stand for a bit of variety after having the Hebridean Sheep Society one in 2010...
Shetland sheep 2011 calendar

On to the fleeces! Here is an unexciting shot of the three I picked up at the fleece sale...
Three bags full of Woolfest fleece
From the left: grey Gotland, black Wensleydale and some white Blue Faced Leicester.

I've been gradually getting round to washing them (an outdoor activity that's on hold at the moment due to all the wind and rain). Here's the BFL on my washing line a few weeks ago...
BFL on the washing line

I've already made something from most of the Gotland fleece, which I'll share in another post. I've sewn up some cotton muslin bags to store my clean fleeces in, as recommended by Alden Amos in his Big Book of Handspinning. Here's the rest of the Gotland fleece in it's new bag...
Gotland fleece in a muslin bag

Towards the end of the show I wandered past the British Coloured Sheep Breeders Association stand and was completely bowled over by a gorgeous naturally coloured Merino fleece (it was almost as if I'd forgotten about the other three fleeces in my car boot and the rest I've still got at home...).

The label on the bag just said 'BIG Merino' and it turned out to be quite an accurate description! Check this out for a ball of fleece...
Ade and the big Merino fleece ball 2

Never mind 'BIG', it's HUGE!
Me and the big Merino fleece

It's a really lovely fleece though, very clean and a beautiful colour...
Close up coloured Merino fleece

I've got big plans for it, I just need a few days of sunshine so that I can get it washed! :)

2 comments:

  1. Ade appears to be holding a large tumour! Eeeagh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If tumours were simply balls of lovely Merino wool then the world would be a better place! :)

    ReplyDelete