Thursday, 19 August 2010

A blur of Cumbrian shows...

It's an agricultural show time of year and I've been to lots in the past few weeks, either as part of my day job or just for fun! I thought I'd share some highlights from the last few shows that I attended for work.

First up was Skelton Show at the beginning of July. It was the first time we'd had a stall there to promote waste prevention in Cumbria and the sun shone on our brightly coloured stand...
Our waste prevention stand stand

We took our Cumbria Real Nappy Campaign display with us...
Cumbria Real Nappy Campaign display

And a Womble as our stand mascot (at the request of the show organisers - we don't usually feel the need to take a mascot to shows with us!)...
Womble mascot
In true waste prevention style, this is a reused Womble that we made for last year's Dalston Scarecrow Festival. He's not a very lucky Womble though because he didn't win the scarecrow competition or the stand mascot one. We still love him though!

Cockermouth Show at the end of July was much less sunny so we were glad to have our flags to brighten things up a bit...
Recycle flag

The RSPB also made up for the lack of sunshine with their dazzling gazebo...
RSPB gazebo envy
I was very envious of it!

North Lonsdale Show was also towards the end of July and the weather was still gloomy but the show made up for it. It's the first time I've been to this show and although it's a small one, it's got a bit of everything.

Sheep for instance (it was only a matter of time before there was a sheep photo!). These are the first Norfolk Horns I've ever seen...
Norfolk Horn sheep 2
They're quite a rare breed (listed as 'at risk' by the Rare Breeds Survival Trust on their watchlist).

This is a handsome North Ronaldsay ram...
North Ronaldsay ram

And a North Ronaldsay ewe...
North Ronaldsay ewe
North Ronaldsays are even more at risk than Norfolk Horns, classified as 'endangered' on the RBST's watchlist.

Even lovely Wensleydales like this one (who is checking out the show) are classed as an 'at risk' breed...
Wensleydale ears
All these sheep belong to a local man called David who I bumped into at the Ulverston Carnival last year when he was outside my Mum's house with one of his Wensleydale ewes and a North Ronaldsay ram on leads. I blogged about the fleeces I got from him and I've been having fun cleaning and sorting them all!

It was nice to say hello to the sheep that grew the lovely Wensleydale fleece I have at home :)

Speaking of fleeces, there were several impressive sheep shearing demos...
Shearing a spotty sheep

Shearing sheep

And some beautiful heavy horses being shown, like this Clydesdale (this breed is classified as 'vulnerable' by the RBST so it was good to see plenty of them at the show)...
Clydesdale in hand

Things took a turn for the bizarre in the floral marquee, with this clog-based flower arrangement...
Floral clog

When I got back outside I saw that the North West Evening Mail newspaper had managed to top last year's 'name that cow' competition with 'name that rabbit'!
Name that rabbit competition
The rabbit in question didn't look at all impressed to be the centre of so much attention.

I took this photo in the handicrafts marquee to tease Ade because currant slices are his favourite kind of tray bake (and these ones must be really good!)...
Currant slice competition

I was dashing around trying to see everything in a short space of time to make sure I wasn't away from my stand for too long so a whole marquee full of rabbits (and rabbit photo opportunities) resulted in just one photo of a rather lovely orange one...
Orange rabbit

We also had a stand at Cartmel Show, which is a lovely mid-week event at the beginning of August. It's quite a horsey show and I could have spent all day just watching all the different types of horses being shown and judged and going around the jumping ring (shame I had to work!).

I caught this lovely Shire mare and foal resting by their horsebox...
Shire mare and foal relaxing
I'd started to think that all heavy horse foals naturally had that swirly textured hair all over their bodies but I realised it was all for effect when I saw about four people busily texturing one poor foal's coat at a show. I still don't know quite what the reason is though...

There were sheep at Cartmel Show too!

A friendly looking Bluefaced Leicester ewe...
Bluefaced Leicester ewe

And some more lovely Wensleydales...
Wensleydales in the sun

Wensleydale face

That's it for now, more to come soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment